Monday, September 19, 2011

Being An Aunt

In our book, Infertility and the Creative Spirit, we wrote about the importance of being an aunt to many infertile women.  As an example, we discussed the twentieth-century American writer, Katherine Anne Porter, author of Ship of Fools.  Porter’s nephew, Paul Porter, who eventually became a writer himself, described what an attentive and powerful influence his aunt was on his intellectual development.  From lists of books to read and music to listen to and boxes of books arriving by parcel post, he wrote, “A whole new world was illumined and revealed.  It was my by-then-favorite aunt who did that for me, and I have never forgotten it.”   

A wonderful article in yesterday’s New York Times, “Let’s Hear It for Aunthood,” by Kate Bolick, childless aunt herself, reports that today nearly 1 in 5 American women in her early 40s has never had a child, according to the Pew Research Center, compared with 1 in 10 in the 1970s.  Echoing the sentiments of Paul Porter about his aunt Katherine, Bolick writes, “The aunt exists outside the immediate family unit, ambassador to a universe of other options, as well as—crucially—a grown-up who isn’t an authority figure or disciplinarian.”  Bolick also reports on a research-based study of aunts and uncles by sociologist Robert M. Milardo, The Forgotten Kin: Aunts and Uncles.  Among other topics, Milardo explores how generativity is expressed in the relationships of aunts and uncles to their nieces and nephews and how direct mentoring, “a cornerstone of generative action,” occurs in these relationships. 

Among the seven women that we profiled in our book, there were several very important aunt relationships.  When Juliette Low founded the Girl Scouts of America, she enrolled her niece, Daisy Gordon Lawrence, as the first registered Girl Scout.  Frida Kahlo was very close with the children of her sister Cristina, and Emma Goldman’s deepest family bond was with her niece Stella Comminsky.  Goldman’s fugitive status gave Stella new freedom, and Stella was there at the important junctures in her aunt’s life.

As an infertile and childless woman, my relationships with my nieces and nephew have been profoundly important to me.  Apparently I am among what Melanie Notkin, author of Savvy Auntie, calls PANKs, “Professional Aunts No Kids!” 

3 comments:

  1. I love it! PANKS! I enjoyed the profound pleasure of being a PANK in my niece's life for 16 years before my late in life son Nick (as in "the nick of time") came along. Children with PANKS are lucky indeed! The love of other significant adults in their lives is essential. Cheers for the PANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. infertility for easy Conception. (No more adoption, with Dr Itua your problem will solve and you will have your child with ease.I have been  blog Sites for a while now and today i felt like i should share my story because i was a victim too. I had endometriosis for 18 years and i never thought i would ever get a cure due to the terrible symptoms i had and this made it impossible for me to get pregnant even after 12 years of marriage and it was a serious issue. I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cure and let her contact details, i contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and i decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 this december and i am gratetful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Epilepsy, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,Get Your Ex Back,  If you have (A just reach his on (drituaherbalcenter@gmail. com Or Whatsapp Number..+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues.He's a good man. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am Marilyn, thanks to Dr James who cured me of fallopian tube blockage and fibroid with his herbal tuber cleanser. My marriage was on the verge of collapsing, because I was unable to bear a child for my husband. Until I came across Dr James recommendation onLine,of how he has helped numerous childless couples to have children with the help of his wonderful herbal medication, and I contacted him. And he administered his herbs on me.within the space of two months, i became pregnant, I now have a child I can call my own. In case you want to contact him for a similar problem, or all other infertility issues, you can reach him through his email:
    DRJAMESHERBALMIX@GMAIL.COM or call  or Whatsapp him on +2348152855846 He said get herbal medicine to get cure diseases like Breast Cancer,Herpes Virus,Hepatitis B,HIV/Aids,Vagina problems.Lung diseases.

    ReplyDelete